Communications coordination with federal government institutions
We initiated meetings with several federal institutions to operationalize with their communications experts the Fund’s activation management protocols. We quickly noticed the need to bring all these key contacts together. As a result, we held our ﬁrst tabletop exercise with emergency communications experts within federal government institutions. The exercise included:
- Transport Canada (TC)
- Public Safety Canada (PS)
- Canadian Transportation Agency (CTA)
- Environment and Climate Change Canada (ECCC)
- Indigenous Services Canada (ISC)
We reached our goal to better understand Canada’s emergency management system, including each other’s areas of responsibility (see the box below). We were able to ask questions, validate communications plans and procedures, and troubleshoot problem areas.
Next steps with respect to communications preparedness include:
- Preparing material ready to be published and share it with the network.
- Collaborating with the provinces and local governments.
- Planning a communication exercise with railway companies.
- Bringing awareness about the Fund to additional federal institutions, such as:
- Intergovernmental Affairs Secretariat
- Natural Resources Canada (NRCan)
- Privy Council Ofﬁce (PCO)
|Here is the summary of the federal institutions’ roles in communications following all railway accidents:
The exercise reafﬁrmed the need to:
While we found several gaps during the exercise, we received a commitment from the participants to build a formal community of practice and to meet periodically.